Thursday 20 February 2014

Food, Food, Food - is that unimaginative?

So, it would seem that tonight is the start of a culinary ten days which will see me put on about ten pounds or something ridiculous. I really must control myself after this.

Last weekend was a treat with shoulder of pork cooked in a low oven for 22 hours and then served with coleslaw, BBQ sauce and balsamic onions for Sunday lunch. Pudding was a rice pudding cake, which was nice enough, though heavy. I'd have preferred the rice pudding mix before it was set - now that was good!

The next day there was pork a plenty and so I made extra BBQ sauce and we had cold roast sandwiches for lunch - wow what a treat that was (especially as there was a little coleslaw left as well!). Tuesday saw the pulled pork wrap with BBQ sauce...but that was where it ended. It will happen again, though. I don't make many roasts, but that was lovely and surprisingly un-greasy when cold.

Monday was garlic mushrooms on ciabatta, to which I have now added a poached egg, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and a sprinkling of Parmesan. It was a dream to see Biggie polishing it off in minutes, though I have to say her ciabatta was on a separate dish as she doesn't like soggy bread! Little Biggie (as she will henceforth be known) was a little unwell and doesn't like mushrooms, so I made her the equally sophisticated tomatoes on toast with extra virgin olive oil, a smear of garlic and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Went down a treat. We can have vegetarian nights after all!

Tuesday was another treat - it's been a surprisingly good week - with a leek and haddock risotto. Again, Biggie had it downed in seconds. I am very proud of her ability to eat and enjoy.

And so to Wednesday, when there was a blip and a near-miss with a takeaway. I'd planned a favourite; roasted mackerel with crushed new potatoes and broccoli, but I just couldn't see it on Wednesday. Neither could Husband#1. So we decided to try it later. I made Biggie hers (which again, she sat and ate without question) and then we had ours after the girls had gone to bed. I'm glad we did - I'd forgotten how good roasted smoked mackerel is. Not much beats it, in my book.

Tonight does see the takeaway, but Biggie had anchovies and mussels mixed with tomato puree and pasta. Ate every bit. What a girl. Little Biggie had tea at nursery so she sat at the table devouring dates and apricots instead. Those girls are fabulous!

And so to the weekend ahead: Friday night is of course the night of the pizza, but Saturday we're eating at the Whippet Inn in York and on Sunday, the Blue Bicycle. Lunches are yet to be decided, but I'm willing to bet there won't be M&S sandwiches!


No comments:

Post a Comment